The latest episode of Lou Harry Gets Real is online. Listen here.
My guests: former Indianapolis mayor Greg Ballard , singer-songwriter Cam Melton. Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra executive / improv artist Beth Outland co-hosts.
In this episode, we discuss the human and economic costs that arise from the United States’ dependence on oil. Ballard explores this topic in great depth in his new book Less Oil or More Caskets (IU Press).
Singer-songwriter (and bio scientist) Cam Melton offers live performances of three original songs from his EP, Southern Sessions.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- What Mayor Ballard thinks of Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
- Why domestic oil production does nothing to solve the economic, environmental and human costs associated with a petroleum-based economy.
- Whether electric vehicles (EVs) are the answer to solving our dependence on oil.
- Why politicians (on both sides of the aisle) are not motivated to solve the world’s energy problems.
- Whether Greg Ballard plans to enter politics again.
And, as always, there’s a punny segment.
Recorded before a live audience, April 14, 2019, in the Oxford Room above the Aristocrat Pub in Indianapolis.